Friday, February 1, 2013

Over the River and through the....

It has been below zero temps here the past few days and on days such as these I pause to reflect on the people who settled this northern land.  How did they ever survive in such frigid temperatures with so little to protect them?  Many nights when it is cold like this I slip beneath my clean sheets, fleece blankets and cozy quilts and I proclaim aloud, "Thank you, Lord, for my warm, clean bed and home, running water and soap, and plenty of food to eat." Some nights my husband and I will add different things to the list.  I think of the homeless people and cannot imagine how they survive here and other than MN's very generous welfare package I cannot imagine what keeps them in this state.  But, by the grace of God, there go I.

I digress.  When I think of the past, I can't help but think of riding in the sleigh and going to Grandma's house.  Well, let's switch it up a bit and go in the summer!  Here is a quilt I machine quilted not too long ago for Deanne from Northfield, MN.  I don't know the name of the pattern (sorry) but it reminds me of going over the river and through the woods to either one of my Grandfather's houses in Kentucky. For some reason the stars remind me of catching lightning bugs in our hands.  :)



Deanne's accurate piecing helped keep the quilt straight.




I have a non-computerized Gammill Classic that is 22 years old and I do not have a stitch regulator.


I love the scrappiness of her quilt and the block used in the bottom of the quilt.  Lots of fun things to look at while quilting!


Deanne also did fantastic machine applique but you cannot see it in these pictures.  


Thanks Deanne for the opportunity to work on your fun quilt.  :)

Everybody stay warm, enjoy the sunshine and be grateful - no matter where you are!
  

10 comments:

Patrica said...

And to think that I complain when it's in the 20's here brrrrr! I too say my thankful prayers for a warm bed and food on the table when I slip between the covers and that miracle of miracles - hot running water. Every night when I take my shower the first thing out of my mouth is Thank You Lord for hot water, I'm not kidding. It's funny what we appreciate isn't it?

Diane Wild said...

Brrr. I, too, often wondered how my relatives survived this state. I guess smaller houses and lots of kids that kept each other warm and banking the fires all night. Love the quilt and, as always, your quilting is wonderful.

Sarah Martin said...

Nice work!
I tried to impress upon my kids one time, the opposite extreme...We went to see Hoover Dam one summer. 109 degrees outside. I shut off the a/c and opened all the windows as we approached the dam and had them imagine what it must have been like for the men who built it, laboring hard, in that heat. Not sure they got it, but I was certainly in awe of their accomplishment!
And thankful to put the a/c back on!

treadlemusic said...

I think that is the reason quilting is so appealing to me...thoughts of warm coziness are very pleasant---it's a "balmy" +5F here (S.E. MN just West of La Crosse,WI). I, too, often wonder how those settlers did it (think of those traveling across the Dakotas or Nebraska by wagon train when I complain when traveling in a comfy car!!! Love that quilt and your stitching is "top notch"! Warm hugs, Doreen

Dawn said...

A very pretty quilt, you did a great job quilting it.

Barb said...

your quilting looks lovely on this fun quilt. i love the row of houses as the top!

AnnieO said...

Beautiful quilt! You did a lovely job on the quilting--it looks great.

On my list of thanks on a near daily basis is sewer systems and curbside trash pickups, and of course, sewing machines :)

Marie said...

Great quilt, and what a lovely memory.

Karen said...

I like house quilts so, of course, I like this one. The houses at the top and then the pieced blocks below.

Michelle said...

I love quilts with houses on them, and that one is GORGEOUS!