Friday, April 26, 2013

A weekend in Nebraska

Last weekend the Ukester and I traveled to Omaha, Nebraska to take in a few events and visit a few friends.  First and foremost the "Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain".

This group is eight, talented people who have been together for over 20 years.  They sing, strum and use humor with the ukulele.  All music genres are open to reinterpretation, played flawlessly and leave you with a smile on your face.  Whether you are a music enthusiast or not (notice I didn't even mention ukulele enthusiast) you will enjoy this group.  If they are close to your area they are worth the tickets to go see.

This was one of my favorite pieces they performed.  George, the one in the middle, had decided they would play a Handel piece and the rest of them rebelled a bit.  :)   (This video is from several years ago and only has six of the eight members in it.)


Since we were close to Lincoln I had the opportunity to go to the University of Nebraska to see the  International Quilt Study and Museum.  This was a fun side trip.  The quilts were beautiful and you can get up close to them which is always nice.  Of course there are many quilts that I could have taken pictures of but these are the ones that I took to remember for my own self....ones I might like to replicate.


The Seven Sisters is a favorite of mine that is on my "someday" list.  The red and white of this one is so  striking....


Check out that hand quilting....I doubt mine will be like that!  Wow!  and without the aid of our electric lights and good eye glasses.....probably done by oil lamp or candle. 


One of the exhibits featured quilts in photography.  In this photo you can see a Turkey Tracks quilt in the background.  The Turkey Tracks quilt they had exhibited was also one of my favorites.....

It's not exactly the same quilt as in the photo but very close in design and time period.


Beautifully executed in yellows, red and greens and wonderfully preserved for us to enjoy.


The humble nine patch.  I just keep coming back to it.



This one would be so easy to replicate in todays reproduction fabrics.  Love it.

If you are going with a group it would be more fun to plan ahead and get the tour guide and try to do a behind the scenes tour, if possible.   If you drive a long way to look at just the quilts, well, you might be a bit let down as there aren't that many on display at one time.  

After leaving Omaha we headed back to South Dakota to visit some friends before heading home.  But on our way we stopped at Vermillion, SD to tour the National Music Museum at the University of South Dakota.  This was a little gem that I didn't know anything about. They have over 15,000 instruments in their collection and about 1500 on display.  Very rare and the most inclusive collection in the world. Lots of wonderful history wrapped up in that building. Worth the trip and go on a Friday when they have their "brown bag lunch concerts" .  

That's it.  A great weekend in Nebraska and South Dakota.  :)

7 comments:

Kathy P said...

I really enjoyed that video! Trying to imagine how difficult it would be as a musician to stay on track and not loose your place...
Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

I too love the nine patch. so humble and nice.
I've always wanted to visit the museum, thanks for sharing your visit.

Every Stitch said...

Thanks fro the photos - beautiful old quilts and lovely quilting too! They wouldn't be too tricky to replicate - hope to see you do that one day :)

AnnieO said...

There is a ukelele store in my town! Glad you had a good time with ukes and quilts. Someday I must go to Nebraska since my grandma was from there and visiting the quilt museum would sure be terrific. Good advice to get the tour!

Diane Wild said...

Sounds like a fun trip. Music, quilts and history. Nothing better.

Vivian said...

I'm only 5 hours from Lincoln and hope to visit the museum some day. Thanks for recommendation about the tour. I'll share the ukelele video with my husband (a weekend musician). He'll enjoy it. Sounds like the U of SD Music Museum would be worth the trip. Inspiration galore in your post.

Nancy J said...

Hi Judy, I hopped to you from Wanda's.Super video, in live would be great.I can see why you enjoyed it so much. Cheers, Jean.