In earlier posts I wrote of being in an 1800's group and showed the blocks I was making and exchanging with members of my group. (See Nine Patches under Labels). On Tuesday night we showed our finished quilts at our guild meeting - one year after we started! All of our quilts are quilted and bound! :)
Our exchange parameters for the 9-patches were:
- browns from 1800 reproduction fabrics
- white/cream background with black/brown designs from 1800 reproduction fabrics
The 3.5 inch 9-patch blocks then had to be made into a Double Nine patch block. It was then up to the piecers discretion as to how they wanted to put the quilt together using sashing, alternate block, etc. Triangles/curves could not be added to the blocks to manipulate them into stars or some other design. We swapped enough so that each of us ended up with 160 3.5" 9-patch blocks.
Below are pictures of my quilt. I am standing third from the left in the top picture above.
As you can see I decided to leave off the border. Thank you to those of you who voted. It was 50/50 in favor of the border and not. I was leaning toward no border but felt that I should put one on since I had so much fabric. However, it just kept saying to me that it was fine the way it was and I am pleased with it.
I machine quilted it with a longarm pattern called Random Baptist Fan available here. This was a very easy pattern to quilt and it gives the general look of the Baptist Fan without the fussiness of it. My picture doesn't show it very well. I practiced on another quilt first before this one and once I have that one bound I will post it.
Our group is almost done swapping blocks for our second quilt! I will post about that at another time.
Thanks for reading.....happy stitches and keep your needles threaded!