Wednesday, March 14, 2012

New book (to me)

One of the things I love to read about is quilting and quilters from the different states (and countries) and the history involved.  So, whenever I can find a book that is reasonably priced about that topic I try to purchase it.  Much to my DH's dismay I have started to amass quite a collection!

Last night at my local guild there were tables of free stuff and someone was giving away this book:


It has wonderful history and pictures of the quilters from Arizona and nice full color pictures of quilts from that area or that were brought to that area by settlers.  The book features a nice combination of eras and types of quilts from applique to scrappy.  I have posted some pictures of a few of the scrappy quilts because, of course, those tend to jump out at me and are my favorites. (Always click on photos to make them larger.)

Isn't this cute?  It is a smaller quilt - not quite crib size.  Love the fabrics and the layout.

This one is full of beautiful 1800's fabrics.  The woman's husband owned a store so she had access to lots of fabrics.

This one is not scrappy but I like the colors and if replicated it could be scrappy yet done in the same colors. Wouldn't that be great? :)

A  "use-it-up" partial string quilt done in a four-patch setting.

If you are interested, this book is available here where you can buy both new and used copies.

Thank you to whoever parted with this book - I felt like I hit the jackpot last night!  :)

We are having absolutely beautiful weather here in Minnesota - in the 60's and 70's.  This is not the norm for this time of year.  So, every chance I get I am outside soaking up the sunshine.  Hezzie simply does not want to go back inside.  Can't say that I blame him.

Judy




4 comments:

Maureen said...

You sure did hit the jackpot. I love the free tables at guild meetings!

Kathy P said...

Hi Judy - just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for an award. You can read all about it on my blog.
http://cottoncellar.blogspot.com/

Annie said...

How wonderful! If I'd been there I would have snatched up that book!

Dawn said...

What a treasure! It was meant to be with you...I'd love to re-create any of the quilts you pictured.
Congratualtions.