Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Memories

This favorite old hymn has been in my mind the past few weeks.  Can't seem to let it go.  Do you know this one? The original text, written sometime in the 6th century and translated to English, has been set to the tune of a beautiful old Irish folk song.

When I was growing up we sang hymns in church with just a piano and an organ.  It was much different than what we see and hear in a lot of churches today.  Sometimes I miss the simplicity of less instrumentation with no distractions.

Below is a You Tube recording of this hymn with just a piano and organ somewhere in a church service.  Perhaps you would like to sing along with it - no one will know if you hit any wrong notes!  :)




Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art-
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son,
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my breastplate, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my armor,  and be Thou my might;
Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower,
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'n's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever be fall,
Still be my vision, O Ruler of all.

Text: Ancient Irish hymn, translated by Mary E. Byrne; versified by Eleanor H. Hull
Music:  Irish Folk melody, Slane


1 comment:

Diane Wild said...

I love this hymn. I didn't know it was an Irish tune. Thank you.