Saturday, August 18, 2012

All the way to "L" and back

Those of you who have followed me for any length of time know I enjoy reading mysteries.  Over the years of quilting I have listened to a number of audio books by Sue Grafton, author of what is known as the "Alphabet Series" of mysteries.  Each book is titled after a letter of the alphabet... A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, C is for Corpse, etc.  So far she has written up to and including the letter V.


My preference is to read book series in order and these books, while they can be read alone, really do occur in sequence.  So, one day not too long ago I was standing at Half Price Books and looking at the clearance rack when I spotted about ten of the alphabet books for a dollar a piece.  I bought all of them and started reading my "series".  I don't have the whole alphabet, obviously.  But I started with "A" and am up to "L" and have a few more to go - then will have to go back and fill in with the ones I missed. I am sure I will be able to get the rest for a buck a piece if I keep my eyes peeled. It's pretty cheap and enjoyable entertainment. 

I pretty much take a book with me whenever I head out the door - never know when I will have time to read just a page or two. 


What are you currently reading?

3 comments:

Diane Wild said...

I need to poke my nose in a book every night. I just finished The Road to Grace by Richard Paul Evans. Wonderful story and the third in his "walk" series. It only took me 2 nights to read. I just started "Cutting for Stone" and have an ebook on my Kindle that I need to finish in two weeks before it goes back to the library. Always lots of good reads around. I enjoyed the Grafton books but haven't read any since "T".

regan said...

I've not read any of her series, but they sound great.....I'll look for them! I just finished Stephen King's 'Under the Dome' and passed it along to our cousin. I thought it was great, moves right along, so was a relatively fast read (although it was quite long). I just picked up at the thrift store a Janet Evanovich book (she uses numbers in her titles for the series), and thought I was getting the 1st in the series, but it's #10.....there was a sticker over the title, and I thought it read 'the big ones' but it's 'Ten big ones'. Oh well....I guess I'll have to go and find the first nine! lol

AnnieO said...

I first picked up A is for Alibi at a beach house rental, and have read them all in order. Mostly I wait for them to come out in paperback and I've picked up some in thrift stores too. Kinsey is a terrific fiesty woman and the story is based in my part of the world so that's an extra attraction too!

I am re-reading The Thorn Birds. What a great book of characters and history of NZ and AU, but so many sad parts!